Starting the day right is so important.
Starting the day well can make all the difference to how the rest of the day goes. That’s why so many successful people have specific morning routines. (https://brandongaille.com/16-morning-routines-of-billionaires/).
For me it can mean the difference between getting through a busy day unscathed or floundering through chaos and lack of productivity. When I start right, almost invariably the rest of the day goes well.
And being British, when I start with tea, all is well with the world! So, every morning I get up and make a pot of tea. A perfect pot of tea.
Every morning I get up, while everyone else in the house is still asleep and the house is silent. The world is silent. So I make tea and steal some time to myself to think, to dream, to plan, before the chaos of school uniform and school lunch and school run begins.
The first cup of tea out of the pot first thing in the morning is perfect. Perfect because of the peace and quiet, perfect because of the moment to stop and reflect, and perfect because of the tea itself. The perfect blend of different teas, brewed for just the right amount of time and poured over milk – no sugar!
And that’s what I want to share with you: my perfect tea recipe.
- Boil the kettle with 1.2 litres of water.
- Add three tea bags to medium size tea pot – two Earl Grey and one Assam. (Clipper Earl Grey and Co-op Assam are my brands of choice, but I encourage you to experiment. It took me a few years to find the exact right combination.)
- Once the water has boiled, leave it for 60 seconds then pour it into the pot slowly.
- Cover the teapot to keep it warm and leave to brew for 4-6 minutes, depending on how strong you like your tea.
- Pour into a china cup over a small amount of milk.
- Sit back, enjoy the silence and enjoy the perfect cup of tea.
- Go on have a second cup. You deserve it!
And there you have it the recipe for the perfect cup(s) of tea and the perfect morning from my point of view.
What’s your perfect morning ritual?